The Ovals - Into The Eyes of Those Who Sleep CD (album) cover

The Ovals

Psychedelic/Space Rock

PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
3 stars This is their second EP which provides prolific psych songs, coupled with some retro appeal. They set the focus on melody, harmonies here. THE OVALS are acting like a well attuned crew - that's striking really. On the opener Refugees some popular psychedelia appeal shimmers through, I mean the organ and charming vocals for example - however it's rather ambivalent when I consider the opulent synth patterns and the guitar which is fuzzy here and spacey there - and this mix makes the song attractive in the end.

Lost With Bones works nearly in the same way, decorated with a nice groove this time, where Heretic shows tribal drums, mantra-like vocals and soaring guitars. The last track cannot warm my heart in the same way, this ballad loses connection to the previous songs a bit ... as if this is coming from a different recording session. Finally I want to emphasize their compositional skills - this Australian boys are able to work out entertaining songs. In a wider sense comparable with my german fellows Okta Logue. Enough substance and spirit in order to offer a full length album soon, which is successful on top of it, I would say - 3.5 stars.

Rivertree | 3/5 |