Björk - Post CD (album) cover

POST

Björk

russellk
3 stars A step down from her engaging debut, BJORK's 'Post' is less idiosyncratic, more generic and inevitably - but disappointingly - aware of her fan base.

Others have remarked on the appalling mess that is 'It's Oh So Quiet' so I'll pass on that one. It is fortunate that playlists can be set to skip tracks, that's all I'll say. Apart from that there's no weakness here: I enjoy the mostly understated electronica backing her unique vocals, her experiments (such as 'Cover Me') generally come off, and the best songs here ('Possibly Maybe' and the well-known 'Hyperballad') are worthy of the artist.

But there is a strong sense of marking time here. BJORK is an innovator, an artist as much as entertainer, and I'm sure she was not satisfied with this mere replication of her debut formula. Perhaps one hit record didn't give her the confidence to launch out into the career she eventually chose.

In the end BJORK's music stands or falls on her remarkable voice. Here it stands - barely.

russellk | 3/5 |