Billy Cobham - The Billy Cobham - George Duke Band:

Billy Cobham

3 stars For some reasons, I have been playing a lot of music from the cassette media - the format that I used to collect music in the seventies - ranging from straight rock music like Gary Moore, Saracen, and The Concerts for The People of Kampuchea (Paul Mc Cartney's idea), jazz-rock, progrock and finally I got this album by Billy Cobham - George Duke Band. I was amazed with the fact that I purchased this cassette tape in 1977 but the sound quality is still top notch by the time I played it last night. Secondly, I was amazed with the music which actually is not bad at all and in fact I did enjoy it very much. Billy Cobham drumming style has been consistent since I knew him the first time with "Spectrum" album because Tomy Bolin of Deep Purple fame played in the album, especially the wonderfully crafted "Stratus".

Of course I had listened to the cassette in the 1977 but it was not in my top list because I'd rather play the tapes of Yes or Genesis at that time. And I thought last night that it's gonna be more fusion type of thing. But I was stunned, in fact, by the guitar playing of John Scofield. Wow man ....!!! It's really a great musical adventure featuring Cobham unique style and powerful keyboard work by Duke - accentuated beautifully by Scofield guitar work. There is dynamic bass guitar work as well as solo that sounds like a walking bass by Alphonso Johnson. In fact, I thought it was Stanley Clarke who played the bass. The opening track "Hip pockets" demonstrates how fusion kind of music is composed nicely by these two gentlemen. The other track "Almustafa The Beloved" is quite interesting to enjoy. Of course I like "Do What Cha Wanna" because it has bluesy style performed in vintage style as well. "Frankenstein Goes To The Disco" demonstrates the excellent drum solo work by Cobham.

Overall, this is a very good jazz-rock music with intense progressive music content as well. Recommended.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW