Phideaux - Snowtorch CD (album) cover

SNOWTORCH

Phideaux

dubovsky
3 stars -Well-made -compositionally intelligent

It has parts that sound really epic, but it does not move me to the point that I'm just like, "Oh my God" this is amazing. It cannot move me emotionally.

The song Snowtorch follows a recurring rhythm that is pretty catchy, but it can get a little repetitive to the point that I feel like they're overdoing it. After the first 10 minutes it can start to get boring. And I never really enjoyed synthesizers, and I don't even know why Phideaux needs them in here. The album is not bad. The singing is good, both male and female voices (Female is better though because it sounds like she is using less machines to alter her natural sound). They have a diversity of instruments which is good.

But to say that it is better than Floyd, Tull, VDGG, or Crimson is not really comparable (and he says that they are his influences).

2.5 stars, 3 for the obvious effort