Kraftwerk - Autobahn CD (album) cover

AUTOBAHN

Kraftwerk

Progressive Electronic

Dobermensch
3 stars The last time I heard this album I really enjoyed it, so I feel at liberty to take pot shots at the opener, knowing that overall I'll like it when it finishes. 'Autobahn' is a likeable synthetic album that always seems to add up to nothing when you reach the end.

This is their first proper electronic album. The title track - 'Autobahn' lasts a painfully long 22 minutes and is as hammy as hell, but always good in an entertaining, but shallow way. It's' full of tinny percussion and paper thin vocals and displays a lack of vision as it meanders from one theme to the next. It's also childlish and unemotional and definitely the poorest tune on the album. Honestly, it's like the musical equivalent of watching a 'Noddy and Big Ears' outing on a Sunday driving picnic.

Thankfully things pick up on side two. Now here's where the influential side of Kraftwerk kicks in. There's many similarities with Bowie's 'Low' from '76. A far more serious affair with lots of innovative keyboards being executed in an austere manner. Sadly, there's a the rather shoddy flute outro that is clearly a remnant of their prog origins.

What's worse is that we still have two more years to go before the awfully grey and uninteresting 'Radioaktivatet' is released which is even more ordinary than this, before a massive upswing in Kraftwerk inspiration which will lead to three great albums in a row .

Dobermensch | 3/5 |