Yleclipse - Opus CD (album) cover

3 stars I have always regarded the Neo Prog genre being an updated version of Genesis sound and pretty close to what Marillion came up with before Fish departed. Yleclipse follows this recipe to the letter on this album.

This album is supposed to be their most progressive album ever. Maybe so. I have interviewed them, but this is my first exposure to their music. An exposure over several evenings in my office.

The music is a mix of symph prog and neo prog. Genesis and Marillion. The overall sound is very close to Marillion and so is the vocals too. The songs are pretty good without really enthusing me. The songs sounds a bit too calculating for my taste. It is like adding the various neo prog components into songs instead of really letting the music flow. That makes this album pretty bland and inoffensive. It is though a very enjoyable neo prog album and almost essential if Marillion is your cup of tea.

3 stars