Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork CD (album) cover

THE SERAPHIC CLOCKWORK

Vanden Plas

Oliverum
3 stars Like telling one Olsen sister from another

Come to think of it, I probably would have felt pretty fine about this release, if I had stopped listening to it after just one song. These men are no rookies - years full of touring, exhausting studio hours and heaps of albums is what I imagine while absorbing the decibels that The Seraphic Clockwork so generously produces.

Superb technical skills - tick! Amazing co-play - tick! Enchanting concept and lyrics - tick! Solid vocals - tick! What's missing then?

To my ears, Vanden Plas's Trans-Siberian Orchestra style and constant hints to Dream Theater/Opeth riffs would not sound bad at all, if only the band would develop these internationally accepted and ever-heared soundscapes to a new level. I am sorry to say, it doesn´t happen. Instead, the result is a fat pie of textbook example prog metal with just a teaspoon of creativity and a lot of repetition (cutting the overuse of the 4/4 time signature wouldn't hurt either).

It may very well be Vanden Plas's best effort so far, but when it comes to song compositions, it's like telling one Olsen sister from another. Yes, that's correct - you don't feel the difference. And, as a result of that, it leaves the whole album one-sided and easily forgettable.

Good metal, but non-essential.
Oliverum | 3/5 |