Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese CD (album) cover

SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE

Primus

Goblin11
5 stars The first Primus album I owned, and also their most commercially successful. Seas of Cheese flows really nicely all throughout with a good mix of full length songs and short, silly songs, giving the album a edge that most music is missing. It's hard to call "Grandad's Little Ditty" a true song, but it does keep the listener involved and is short enough to not get annoying. The best tracks on this album are "Fish On," "Eleven," and "Tommy the Cat." "Fish On" starts out with just bass and eventually becomes a full band number, and by the end of the song Les is just doing amazing bass work that is simply amazing. "Eleven" is written in 11/8 time signature, and is the only song I know of with that particular time signature. Because of there being eleven beats per measure, the main riff always has a feel of a note missing at the ending, similar to "Money" by Floyd, except even more extreme with four more beats in a measure. My other favorite, "Tommy the Cat" is also included on Suck on This, but the studio version is better simply because of Tom Waits. His vocals are perfect with the music, and have given me wholehearted respect for the man, who I thought only did blues piano work. "Tommy the Cat" certainly disproves that.

Primus is one of those love it or hate it bands, so I would not buy an album without listening to it before hand. Since this album was their most commercially successful album, it would be a good place to start, un-like Pork Soda, a little too out there for first timers.

Goblin11 | 5/5 |