Hermeto Pascoal - Mundo Verde Esperança CD (album) cover

MUNDO VERDE ESPERANÇA

Hermeto Pascoal

moodyxadi
4 stars I was in a heavy Magma mood when I listen to this album for the first time. Some of the vocalises found here have a coincidental similarity with that group classic efforts but Hermeto's music is a world in itself. He's known as "Bruxo" (the wizard) in Brazil because he can create music from almost anything. This album is more traditional as it uses only regular instruments and the human voice to create incredible music, impossible to define. It's not fusion or jazz but uses some of the elements from these genres. To my ears it's avant-garde but without despising melody.

I recommed this album to anyone interested in late's Hermeto work, that is very different from his begginings (both with Brazilian Octopus & solo). Get it together with Cérebro Magnético and knew how high music can go when we forget boundaries and misconceptions about countries and genres.

This is an easy five-star album in my collection, but I believe that it doesn't represent the essence of prog as it flows thru a lot of genres. To the regular prog fan it's not a masterpiece; that's the only reason I give it ONLY 4 stars - and half, if I could.

moodyxadi | 4/5 |