Yes - Big Generator CD (album) cover

BIG GENERATOR

chopper
3 stars I'm submitting this to fight back on behalf of the much-maligned Big Generator. Let's look at the tracks 1. Rhythm Of Love (4:49) - good orchestral opening, but an average Rabin-era song. 2. Big Generator (4:31) - don't like this, especially the discordant chorus. 3. Shoot High Aim Low (7:59) - a bit of a slow one, good drumming from Alan. 4. Almost Like Love (5:58) - speeds things up, do I detect a Motown influence here? 5. Love Will Find A Way (4:48) - now things get interesting. This is one of the best Rabin songs. A good riff, nice chorus and a great solo starting off on harmonica and the guitar comes in alongside it half way through. 6. Final Eyes (6:20) - things get better. Nice vocals with swirling echo effects and a very deep keyboard bass sound. Highlight is the crashing drum and guitar chords in the middle. 7. I'm Running (7:34) - the best song on the album and IMO the best Rabin-era song along with I am waiting. Starts with a bass riff and features a fantastic solo. The vocals towards the end are really good. 8. Holy Lamb (3:15 - a typical Jon Anderson song. Starts with guitar and vocals and gradually builds up similar to Wonderous Stories. I think Rabin said he didn't like this, but it's not too bad. Nice guitar/keyboard work at the end.

Overall I give it three stars, mainly because of the high standards Yes set with their previous albums (up to 90125). It's obviously not as good as these but still better than a lot of bands' best. I prefer it to 90125 on the whole.

chopper | 3/5 |