Van Der Graaf Generator - Present CD (album) cover

PRESENT

Van Der Graaf Generator

chopper
4 stars I'm fairly new to the world of VDGG but this seems to me to be a fantastic comeback after so long. There is a real great feel to this album - look at the picture of the music room in the CD booklet, then listen to "On the beach" which starts off with a bit of studio chatter, then you'll see what I mean. You can just picture these guys playing together as a band, rather than just multi-tracking everything.

I have found the second CD a bit hard going so far, but the first CD is great, particularly "Every Bloody Emperor" (great lyrics) and the gorgeous "On the beach", which is my favourite track here.

From what I know of VDGG, this isn't far short of their earlier work and it's great that there is still music like this around in 2005 when we're all under the threat of the Crazy Frog.

chopper | 4/5 |