Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

GODBLUFF

Van Der Graaf Generator

BrufordFreak
4 stars Been trying to get into/appreciate VDGG for years. Just don't get the attraction to PH's voice/singing. Plus, I am not a lyric-conscious music listener and VDGG/PH are definitely lyric-driven songwriters. Still, Godbluff does have two very amazing songs in the intense and emotional howitzer "Arrow" and the surprising, diversified, and instrumentally fun 'jam,' "The Sleepwalkers." A great song which does not give as much forefront to PH's vocal (it's actually mixed quite far back into the mix for a good portion of the second half of the song--and there is a length instruments-only section in the middle containing many fun and even beautiful mood, style, sound, and instrumental shifts). "Undercover Man" is just plain boring music (I get very tired of church organ playing). "Scorched Earth" is somewhere in between--a step above because the clavinet and sax sound pretty good together. Also, I like some of the unusual vocal effects, layering and b-vox. I usually don't like sax--period--but it's actually okay in this mix--even the soli. I guess my main complaint here is the length and repetitious A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B . . . Still, what do you people see in PH's voice? I can't seem to feel it-- and I've been trying since 1977-8 when I picked up In Camera, The Silent Corner . . . , and Over. And I'm still trying!

In summary: "Arrow" and "The Sleepwalkers" are definite masterpieces of progressive music; "Scorched Earth" is memorable; "Undercover Man" is a song for the 'torture your mother-in-law' bin. I guess it's and excellent addition to any prog lover's music collection. Maybe not every prog lover's music collection. 3.5 stars rated up cuz I respect the talent here and the choices of others. Top 10/20 prog albums ever made? Wouldn't even make my Top 100.

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |