My Brother The Wind - Twilight In The Crystal Cabinet CD (album) cover

My Brother The Wind

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars My Brother The Wind is an improvisational outfit consisting of acclaimed Swedish musicians from Anekdoten, Mahajodama and Magnolia. The album is the result of a one-time improvisation get-together during a concert in 2009.

It's hard to believe that this album is the result of an impromptu session between said musicians. Especially the two melodious ending pieces sound as if they're played by musicians with a long history of playing together. The interplay is very spontaneous and emotional. The opening "Karmagrinder" appeals just a bit less to me but is still very good. "Electric Universe" is a more straightforward psych-rock jam, not the best I've heard but it still develops nicely. The reflective title track is a little highlight that will remind fans of the earlier Anekdoten side-project Morte Macabre. "Precious Sanity" is a bit of Crimsonic craziness.

"Twilight in the Crystal Cabinet" isn't entirely consistent but that's not really a big issue with this sort of release. As long as the highlights are high and plenty! 3.5 stars, at least.

Bonnek | 4/5 |