Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards  CD (album) cover

4 stars Renaissance is a band that I consider to be at the extreme top-end of superb symphonic prog bands. I've always had a place in my heart for anything with a renaissance-theme, so the name of the band was an immediate attraction, but the music here utterly fantastic. The compositions don't really have a renaissance feel, but more of a modern classical/prog arrangement kind of feel. There is a lot of energy here for the most part, and after a beautiful intro, "Running Hard" turns into a fast paced prog rocker that flows hard and beautifully as the terrific voice of Annie Haslam soars high above in the mix.

Something that is a very strong element in Renaissance's music is very present here; folky instrumentation. There is usually a healthy dose of acoustic strumming and occasional harpsichord that really add to the music and gives Renaissance a unique feel. Anyone interested in fantastic symphonic prog that is all beautiful with a folky edge should definitely check out this album. Fortunately, this writing style would be enhanced on their next album, and I also feel like it was done better on Ashes Are Burning as well.

colorofmoney91 | 4/5 |