The Residents - Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses CD (album) cover

The Residents

5 stars Absolutely the best introduction to The Residents, broken down into two phases of the group.

It wisely begins with their more current (at that time) releases which are typically less discordant and more tuneful. This will allow the first time listener to get pulled in before they explore the darkness of the bands earlier days. It also shows the Residents are able to take a critical look back at their material and their willingness to rework it into different forms (see Icky Flix DVD and Our Favourite Flowers for best examples of this)

Highlights on disc 1: 'Jambalaya'-Their moody cover of Hank Williams classic somehow retains the flavor of the bayou, but the dark, dangerous one not hinted at in the original. 'Teddy Bear' - taken live from "Cube-E" it features the tortured shriek of a dying pop star. Chilling. 'Harry The Head' - from "Freak Show", sideshow perversion becomes a catchy pop tune. "The Gingerbread Concentrate" - condensing all of their mediocre "Gingerbread Man" album into one outstanding piece.

Highlights disc 2: 'The Commercial Album' pieces - all the "Commercial Album you'll ever need. 'Satisfaction' - The main reason my wife and daughter won't even let me talk about the band. Nightmarish and perverse, but absolutely brilliant. 'This Is A Man's World' - James Brown goes down.

I cannot recommend this set enough as it hits the essentials. The sound quality is the best I've heard on one of their discs and the accompanying booklet features their history? and some amazing artwork. Definitely, a masterpiece and the best introduction to this complex band.

DantesRing | 5/5 |