Shakti With John McLaughlin - Shakti with John McLaughlin CD (album) cover

Shakti With John McLaughlin

Indo-Prog/Raga Rock

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars I love John Mclaughlin's guitar playing. I love L. Shankar's violin playing. Put them together in a raga fusion group, and the results would be spectacular. Right? Well, sort of. This live album consists of two long one chord raga jams, with a short ballad sandwiched in the middle. Both jams consist of Mclaughlin and Shankar trading alternate blinding fast solos, whil occasionally coming back together for the themes of the songs. At the outset, the sound is exciting. But as the songs go on (and on, and on, and on....) they become tedious.

The group was borne from an interesting idea. I just wish they could have added a little bit more variation to the music.

And What Need Have I for This - What Need Have I for That - I Am Dancing at the Feet of My Lord - All Is Bliss - All Is Bliss is just one of the cheesiest song titles of all time.

Evolver | 3/5 |