Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards  CD (album) cover

TURN OF THE CARDS

Renaissance

Zitro
4 stars 3 2/3 stars

A great album in the vein of its predecessor. This one is more classical though and a little heavier/more dynamic. Unfortunately, I find it a bit weaker in quality and consistency.

The opening track sends a wrong impression to the listener. It is for me the weakest track of the classic era of the band. It is a long dynamic Quasi-classical song that doesn't interest me heavily. I think of You is a folk song in the vein of Ashes Are Burning and it is dominated by acoustic guitar, harpsichord, and Annie's vocals. Things I don't Understand is a normal Renaissance song with good musical arrangements. Black Flame is an excellent song with amazing harpsichord and organ playing behind Annie's gorgeous singing. Cold is Being is a simple melodic song dominated by Annie. I like the organ chords behind the singing. Mother Russia is a majestic symphonic track (many times considered Renaissance's best song) with an orchestra, great riffs/melodies, and a grandiose slow buildup.

Highlights : Mother Russia, Black Flame