Anderson Bruford Wakeman  Howe - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe CD (album) cover

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

4 stars I don't care what anyone says. This, in my mind, is Yes. Maybe a Yes minus Chris Squire, but still Yes. I've always found this album enjoyable, because it sounds like a strong mixture of '80s pop influenced Yes and '70s symphonic Yes, which would ultimately become the Yes '90s sound.

This material is very strong, though I'm sure fans of early Yes would still brush this off as too "un-Yes" sounding. Much of the '80s keys and percussion enhancements are still present on this album, but it all sounds like a natural progression from the '80s to '90s period of Yes (I think ABWH album far better than anything Yes would write for the rest of the '90s). Besides in a change of sound, this album marks the beginning of the period where these four men would be writing together again, which is undeniably always a good thing. The music here always give off a imperial or medieval feel, without any good reason. I guess the synths sound like synthesized "behold your majesty" horns, and the filter used on the guitar on "Brother of Mine" sound like horses.

Although I think this album stands out in the Yes/Yes-related catalog, I do agree that only select few might enjoy this. If you're a strict fan of '70s Yes, then you can ignore this album and not be missing much. Likewise, if you're only a fan of '80s pop-influenced Yes material, the music on this album may be a bit elaborate. However, if you maybe (read: oddly) started listening to Yes during the '90s and think that is there best material then this should definitely be included on your music-shelf.

Standout tracks: "Brother of Mine", "Order of the Universe"

colorofmoney91 | 4/5 |