Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

4 stars Ahhh...1976, when men were men, and Geddy Lee still shrieked! While this Rush album does not get the most turntable play for me, (that honor goes to PERMANENT WAVES), I can readily understand why 2112 gets it's great Prog raves. The title track needs no introduction to Rush fans, and I will only say it is Prog perfection in a bit over 20 minutes. The rest of 2112 fails to reach this standard but there are some great gems here nonetheless- "A Passage to Bangkok", and "Twilight Zone" being the standouts. While some earlier Rush works like FLY BY NIGHT and CARESS OF STEEL seem dated to me, 2112 has held up over the years and it is always a joy to rediscover it after letting it sit on the shelf for awhile. 4 1/2 stars.
mohaveman | 4/5 |