Okko Bekker - Sitar & electronics CD (album) cover

SITAR & ELECTRONICS

Okko Bekker

Indo-Prog/Raga Rock

colorofmoney91
4 stars I honestly didn't have high hopes for this album, considering that I've never been a fan of Indian music or psychedelic music. However, I am a fan of sitars by themselves and electronics. So this turned out to actually be a fantastic listening experience!

I get a strong "lounge music" vibe from this album, but it seems like background music that forces itself into the forefront by being interesting and fun. "East Indian Traffic" features a strong '70s rock riff throughout that adds incredible energy to this album, which I expected to be fairly laid back and boring. Okko plays some fantastic improvisations on the sitar that truly stand out, and the other players on this album play just as well. "If I Needed Someone" is an exceptionally trippy track featuring some very prominent moog phrases.

I wouldn't exactly call this music progressive, but it is definitely interesting and a fun listen. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for an interesting and rockier take on the sounds of Indian music. I'm not a fan of Indian music, and if I can enjoy this music as much as I did, I'm sure others definitely will as well.

colorofmoney91 | 4/5 |