Babe Ruth - First Base CD (album) cover

FIRST BASE

Babe Ruth

Philrod
3 stars In 1972, Babe Ruth launched their first album, First Base. It is their biggest album, both commercially and in terms of musical content. This is rythm hard rock with progressive ascendants. The music has really simple rythmic section especially the bass wich more or less repeats itself all over the album.

Pushed by a good guitar presence by writer Alan Shacklock and the the great vocals from lead singer Janita Haan, the album gives us one of the biggest hit of the 70's, The Mexican. The definite highlight of the album, this song is so known I don't really have to describe it. Another highlight is the remake of Frank Zappa's King Kong. A try at symphonic music appears on the song The Runaways, but really we see that they were not made for this kind of music, but I must say the production did not help, as the arrangements are louder than Haan's voice. It is interesnting to note that the cover painting is from Mr. Roger Dean himself, wich needs no further introduction. All in all, this is quite enjoyable, but nothing more. 3/5

Philrod | 3/5 |