Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind CD (album) cover

HYMN TO THE IMMORTAL WIND

Mono

Post Rock/Math rock

Starhammer
3 stars Drowning in a sea of tremolo...

This conceptual love story marks the 10th anniversary of Japanese post-rock group Mono.

The Good: The opening track is more epic than a herd of elephants riding segways! Just listening to it makes me feel like a wounded war hero, returning home to the prospect of hot showers, soft beds, and perhaps even a medal of valor. Everlasting Light is equally good and 'the other snow one' come in a close third. The album's overall sound is almost as beautiful as its artwork, which also draws parallels to the sonic deluge that is characteristic throughout.

The Bad: As their name might suggest, the musical approach can be a bit one-dimensional at times, with drawn out crescendos becoming a little too formulaic. I didn't find the album's two shorter tracks to be that engaging and whilst I really, really wanted to enjoy The Battle to Heaven for the celestial imagery its title suggests, I think Queue to the Supermarket Checkout would have been more appropriate.

The Verdict: A dish best served in the pouring rain.

Starhammer | 3/5 |