Van Der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine  CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

2 stars Even though Van Der Graaf Generator is one of my absolute favourite bands, and even though this particular album was my first meeting with the band, I still cannot believe that it in fact IS VDGG that has made this album. It is just so far away from the rest of the group's discography in both style and quality. Granted, there are good songs on it (like for instance Into A Game), but still I cannot bring myself to give this album a better rating than two stars. Maybe it's a bit unfair, because my demands for a VDGG-album are so high. Maybe, if it had been - say, an early Caravan-record or something - I might have given it a weak 3- star rating? The first track I liked when I listened to this album, was Aguarian. In fact, I liked it a lot for a few days, but it really didn't wear well when listened to a couple of times. Now I think it sounds almost as if it could have benn part of the soundtrack for Hair, or some "musical cousin" to David Bowie's Memory Of a Free Festival (not a compliment).
Tyrant | 2/5 |