Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs For The Damned & Delirious CD (album) cover

Diablo Swing Orchestra

4 stars Part cartoon, part live action, the steampunk 'Addams Family' meets 'Corpse Bride' film is complete but now needs a sound track. The producers have Trans-Siberia Orchestra, Epica and Madder Mortem lined up to perform the music, which has been written by Devin Townsend. Or they save themselves all that time and expense, and use this album instead.

I was expecting this to be a difficult album to listen to, but it really isn't. It's highly melodic and the quirky bits make sense in the context of the album. Look at the cover art .. if it looks intriguing to your eyes, then I pretty much guarantee you'll love this music. If you don't care for the films or bands I mention in the first paragraph, then save your money.

I'll give this 4 stars for now. If it has legs and doesn't grow stale after a dozen listens, then I'll upgrade to 5 stars. I can't tell if it is the band's novelty or genius that makes me smile like a loon as I listen, but I get the overwhelming urge to strap myself into a pair of ridiculous Goth boots and summon Cthulhu, with the opening chords. Should music be this much fun? Damn straight!

moochie | 4/5 |