Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity (Radio-Aktivität) CD (album) cover

Progressive Electronic

3 stars Radio-Activity is usually not held in such high regard. The tracks on this album are much more minimalist than on Autobahn and on the albums following this one, which makes this album seem kind of pale and boring. This album starts out sounding like their darkest and coldest album, because of songs like "Geiger-Counter", "Radio-Activity" and "Radioland", but it all eventually picks up some poppy momentum with tracks like "Airwaves" and "Antennae", both pre-dance music tracks. One thing that should be obvious after listening to this album are the short tracks that don't really add up to anything. About half of this albums is strange, electronic filler used to connect other electronic filler tracks to one another, until an actual song starts. It isn't terrible, and it really does add to the dark and dead atmosphere that Kraftwerk often create with their music, but I'm just the kind of guy who hates filler material. The album does end on "Ohm Sweet Ohm", which is a classic Kraftwerk track, and is really depressing and tired sounding. That might not sound appealing, but it is a great way to end the album.

This is a good album, and I do greatly enjoy it. However, it just isn't as solid as their other material. I wouldn't say that this isn't a good place to start with Kraftwerk, but I will say that there are better places to begin a Kraftwerk venture. Because this album isn't as good as their next few albums, I feel the need to reward this album with 3 starts. Don't be discouraged though; this is a good listen.

colorofmoney91 | 3/5 |