Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos CD (album) cover

SYSTEMATIC CHAOS

Dream Theater

Starhammer
2 stars Nice bread, shame about the filling...

Having not learnt their lesson from Train of Thought, Dream Theater had another crack at sum brvtal hevy mettulz.

The Good: In the Presence of Enemies is an outstanding composition and the decision to split it up and bookend the album was a good one (it's the only reason I listen to the rest of the tracks!)

The Bad: I quite liked Constant Motion but have since discovered that it doesn't hold much replay value. The album's other single, Forsaken, is just cringeworthy and sounds like an Evanescence B-side. For one of my friends this was the first Dream Theater song he had heard and based on that I definitely don't blame him for not wanting to explore the band any further. Which brings us to The Dark Eternal Night. What even is this?! Sure is has a killer riff and an awesome instrumental breakdown, but the vocals? It sounds like Mike Portnoy is stuck in an air-con ventilation shaft.

Next on the cutting table is Repentance. I actually like this track as it's a little bit different and brings a welcome break from the (attempted) armageddon surrounding it. It's also my second favourite in the Twelve-step Suite, but the spoken section is a far too drawn out and can get boring after repeated listens. Prophets of War is just awful and marked the final nail in the coffin (for now) of the sociopolitical series of songs from preceding releases. The only good thing to come from it was the James LaBrie Arabic remix (ref. YouTube). Which finally brings us on to The Ministry of Lost Souls. Its a great name for a song, and I really like the mid-section, however there is too much nonsense either side to make its worth listening to.

The Verdict: Their worst studio release to date.

Starhammer | 2/5 |