Spock's Beard - The Light  CD (album) cover

THE LIGHT

Spock's Beard

kunangkunangku
4 stars Spock's Beard was the first band I listened to among those who emerged during progressive rock's 1990s revival. And it was their debut album, this one in question, that has brought my enthusiasm for the genre back into life once again.

OK, I have to admit that there was a vacuum in my life in which I practically stopped keeping myself up-to-date with anything new coming from the music scene -- well, sometimes I listened to radio or watched television, but I did not go to record stores and buy albums. Amazingly, I did not crave them.

Until I got my hands on this self-financed four tracks effort. It was a gift from a friend. And what a great gift: in first listening, the opening title track immediately blew me away. A smart combination of strong melodies with complex arrangements, superb musicianship and stunning performances, although some parts exposing rather disjointed movements or structures. It reminded me to Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant and all -- those considered by progressive rock fans among the greatest of 1970s.

I keep listening to this album since then. And when I do putting the disc into my player's tray, the impression of capturing almost pompous but splendid music (this is also the case with "The Water", the second multiple-part suite) is always there. Overall, throughout the album, not only Neal Morse, the frontman, who can prove confidently his awesome talent as a song writer and keyboard player, but the rest of the band too has their moments to exhibit their virtuosities.

This is a must have album.

kunangkunangku | 4/5 |