Minstrel - Faust CD (album) cover

FAUST

Minstrel

Rock Progressivo Italiano

erik neuteboom
4 stars Here's a great album from 2000 by the Italian band Minstrel. It turned out to be their swansong, just another promising one-shot band from Italy!

1. Preludio (Una Selva Una Storia) (1:20) : This one contains spoken words in the Italian language.

2. Atto I, Scena I: Bellatrix (5:28) : The start is with twanging acoustic guitar, typical dramatic Italian vocals and wonderful keyboards. In the end a splendid 'finishing touch' featuring a fiery and very compelling electric guitar solo.

3. Atto I, Scena II: Mefistofele (8:55) : This track delivers an exciting tension between the acoustic piano and propulsive electric guitar. Also very moving is the acoustic guitar/piano interplay and a moving guitar solo, supported by a beautiful string sound. The final part is bombastic, in the great Italian progrock tradition!

4. Atto I, Scena III: Il Castello (6:52) : An up-tempo rhythm with fiery electric guitar, then a mellow part with piano, moving electric guitar and soaring keyboards. The vocals are great and the 'grand finale' carry you away to a progwalhalla!

5. Atto II, Scena I: Faust (9:49) : The intro features bombastic keyboards, then a mid- tempo with echoes from mid-Genesis, remarkable is the wah-wah drenched guitar solo.

6. Atto II, Scena II: La Neve (7:52) : First twanging gitars, dreamy vocals and mellow kebyoards, then a compelling bombastic atmosphere delivering a wonderful electric guitar solo.

7. Finale (Ogni Viaggio) (4:17) : This one only features piano and spoken words.

ANOTHER OVERLOOKED ITALIAN GEM!

erik neuteboom | 4/5 |