Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean CD (album) cover

A TAB IN THE OCEAN

Nektar

Psychedelic/Space Rock

colorofmoney91
3 stars A Tab In The Ocean is an album that I picked up after stating that I've always found space-rock/psychedelic rock to be very boring, so Nektar was suggested to me as an essential band in the genre and that I should listen to them. I hesitated for a while, but I'm glad I finally got around to listening to this album - it's a decent listen.

I actually didn't care much for the album on first listen, and still the only passage in the title- track that I enjoy is the jam-session portion during the last 7 minutes. "Desolation Valley- Waves" however is built on a beautiful psychedelic motif that gets stuck in my head for hours, and seems very sincere. The remainder of the album is bluesy guitar-oriented jam psychedelia that reminds me of a much more energetic re-imagining of Pink Floyd, or possibly just Barrett- era Pink Floyd.

Nothing on this album really satisfies me as much as the track "Desolation Valley-Waves", so I suppose that I'm still not a space-rock or psychedelic rock fan, but at least I gave this album a try. I could definitely see this album being adored by space-rock fans, and I would definitely have to say that I would strongly suggest this to anyone who is a fan of the genre.

colorofmoney91 | 3/5 |