Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity CD (album) cover

FALLING INTO INFINITY

Dream Theater

Starhammer
3 stars Cheesecake with a chocolate centre...

Pressure from their record label to write another hit single resulted in a more commercial approach from the band. It was also the first and only full studio release to feature Derek Sherinian on the keys.

The Good: This was clearly a very frustrating time for Dream Theater which is lyrically apparent in songs such as You Not Me, Burning My Soul and Just Let Me Breathe. After their excellent Awake album didn't produce another "Pull Me Under", they were told to focus on writing more radio friendly tracks. Whilst none of the songs found here reached anywhere near the levels of exposure that were expected of them, there are still a few absolute gems.

Dream Theater are renowned for their extended instrumental passages, but few of their tracks have absolutely no vocals. This distinguished minority has become an exclusive club, receiving a new addition every few years or so. In 1997 the existing members were joined by one Hell's Kitchen which quickly rose to fame, and despite stiff competition from Overture 1928, has remained my favourite Dream Theater instrumental to this day. It's just 256 seconds of pure musical perfection.

Other standout tracks include Lines in the Sand, New Millennium and Trial of Tears which features (amongst other things) an amazing keyboard solo. If that was indeed the final thing that Derek Sherinian contributed to the band, then wow did he got out with a bang!

The Bad: The one thing I love about the production on this album is the fact we actually get to hear the bass guitar for once! However the overall mix is a bit plastic, and a lot of these songs I prefer in the live setting for the extra energy it brings. Speaking of which I have a general distain for James Labrie's live performances but tend to either enjoy, or merely tolerate, his studio recordings. However the vocals here sound very flat and quite successfully ruin many otherwise excellent musical passages. I find this somewhat suprising as I thought the more pop orientated approach would suit him better, but when listening to the likes of Take Away My Pain I often wish someone would by taping up his mouth.

None of the tracks on Falling into Infinity are particularly bad but then again some aren't particularly good either. For example, Anna Lee rampages through cringeworthington for nearly whole six minutes, whilst Peruvian Skies doesn't really go anywhere at all.

The Verdict: With a touch of quality control this could've been right up there...

Starhammer | 3/5 |