Yes - Time and a Word CD (album) cover

2 stars Time and a Word ? 1970 (2.6/5) 9 ? Best Song: Go bother your scones, donny-osmond.

Time and a Word, or how being a child becomes molested by the idea that you HAVE to grow up. Their sophomore slump! It's a humpty dumpty dump! (of poorly made musical decisions which lead to a less-than-enthralling musical experience). I can safely say that, unlike the vast majority, I'll blatantly rate Time and a Word lower than their debut. Not a lot (it's not as if the overriding keyboards were far from them at any point in their career). Most folks will hear this and think 'oh it's because Wakeman and Howe weren't staples of the band just yet!', but what they don't know is Howe and Wakeman are actually stitches.

Boy, they goof up a bunch of decent songs. Aside from the hammering keyboard groogling (only word I can think of for the bubbly churning and gut-vomiting noise that thing creates), and aside from the ocean vocals (seriously, was it a group session they had that ended with 'fuck humanity!'?). Aside from all that, 'Astral Traveller' is a competent rocker, I suppose. What else am I supposed to call it? Well-performed hogwash? I can see them wishing to be taken seriously, and I can see that they possessed real, stable playing ability, but I can't say they didn't lose their heads with this one. When Banks is allowed to be let loose (which is much less often now), he still cooks, but all of it makes wonder?why do you have to grow up?

Alitare | 2/5 |