Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt) - Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladík CD (album) cover

MODRÝ EFEKT & RADIM HLADÍK

Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt)

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars A rather strange album and perhaps the crowning achievement of this band.

It has taken me a long time to get into this album. I have found it incoherent and a bit sparse on the goods. But still............

Others has described this band and album better than me. I am totally new to this band and this album is my first Modry Effect album. It is probably not the last Modry Effect album though.

The music here is based on fusion/jazz. But it also takes of into other areas like space, eclectic, heavy prog, symph and folk at times. Recorded and produced behind the vicious iron curtain and during a very harsh regime who controlled everything, it is obvious that the band had to create and indeed created their own sound and their own universe. That is what this album is compared to other albums as far as I can see. It's own universe. An universe where the guitar is still the king and with some very quirky melody lines.

There is no doubts that this is a truly great album though. The musicianship is outstanding. The melodies are great and full of small details. It takes a lot of time to get into it though because it is it's own universe. But the rewards is there.

I see no reasons to ramble on anylonger. This is one of the best albums emerging from behind the iron curtain. Hence the stars.

4 stars