Änglagård - Hybris CD (album) cover

4 stars Having finally procured this album about a month ago, it has been on my playlist ever since--not necessarily because I love it but more because I'm trying to let it grow on me--trying to figure out what I'm missing, what's wrong that I'm not loving this album. I could immediately hear all of the comparisons and possible influences, (Crimson, ELP, Hackett, Genesis, Yes, Tull, VDGG, Camel, Rush, Nektar, Ant, etc.) I recognize the high level of compositional skill and musicianship, but something is missing--something just isn't drawing me in. I have concluded that it is a deficiency of heart, soul, and emotion that leaves me feeling cold and unattached-- impressed but unattached. I am very much reminded of my similar reaction to most Steve Hackett albums: I recongize and appreciate the genius, the experimentalism, the skill, but it leaves me cold and unattached. (Mostly.) I cannot in good conscience rate this collection of masterfully constructed and performed songs anything less than 4 stars, but I am equally unable to rate it as a masterpiece. It may deserve its standing in the PA Top 100 but not in mine.
BrufordFreak | 4/5 |