Roxy Music - Manifesto CD (album) cover

MANIFESTO

Roxy Music

Alitare
2 stars Manifesto ? 1979 (1.6/5) (almost 1 star) 6 ? Best Song: Still Falls the Rain? Hee hee.

This album, boy howdy does this album infuriate me in several differing manners. First off, whose bright idea was it to take a good Roy Music album and record over it with Marx's Communist Manifesto? That was truly hateful. And who would've suspected Karl Marx would've had such a taste for mid-tempo arena rock? The sound is in the song titles for your pleasure. 'Trash' sounds exactly like the new wave rocking of the 1980's. It's one thing to predate a style, but you'd better hope you predate and invent something like singer/songwriter+jazz fusion, not arena rock. That's awful, Bryan. Was the Cars' debut that good, man? I sure as hell enjoyed it, but not enough to construct an entire album based on ripping it off. What's crazy is how the Cars were noted for their brand of wavey synth rock, and Roxy was known for their experimental synth rock, and what happens to be the most interesting facet to the Roxy album most aligned to the Cars? They keyboards are the worst aspect! Not every song is an utter failure. 'Still Falls the Rain' has a nice kick to it, and the singing hasn't altogether lost its charm.

I was shocked when I first realized it, but those grossly amateur blips and whines in 'Angel Eyes' needs to be renovated. Possibly it's a matter of me pointing the gun in the wrong direction. You can have feeble instrumental backing behind skillful songwriting and it could still work for a great tune. Won't Get Fooled Again is a perfect example of this. What I can say is that the songwriting here, which fully embraces the stupid decadence of dance rock with none of the personality, energy, originality, or vigor of the group in their prime. Goddamn that fool Karl Marx and his Manifesto! This is one of the worst albums from a solid band I've heard since all those post-Dio Rainbow albums. Sheesh.

Alitare | 2/5 |