Cephalic Carnage - Anomalies CD (album) cover

ANOMALIES

Cephalic Carnage

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars "Anomalies" is the 4th full-length studio album by US experimental extreme metal act Cephalic Carnage. The album was released in March 2005 by Relapse Records.

The band are known for their eclectic and experimental extreme metal style that's somewhat rooted in grindcore but far exceeds the boundaries of that style. On "Anomalies" the band incorporate elements from grindcore, death metal, deathcore, metalcore, sludge and avant garde. And most of the time you'll have elements from several of those genres within one track. The vocals on the album are mostly very extreme, ranging from death grunts to higher pitched screaming vocals and everything in between. But in addition to the more extreme vocals on the album you'll also be exposed to raw sludgy type vocals and even some clean metalcore styled vocals in the track "Dying Will Be the Death of Me". I guess it's needless to say it, but there are a plethora of vocal styles on the album. It can be both a strength and a weakness depending on your point of view and open mindedness towards those vocal styles. Whichever style of music the band chose to play and incorporate into their songs they pull it off with ease and conviction, be it deathcore breakdowns, sludgy parts, fast blasting grindcore sections, groove based death metal or avant garde sounding dissonant fretboard runs and other oddball ideas ( including the rather unconventional lyrics).

The production is professional, powerful and suits the music perfectly.

Cephalic Carnage is the kind of act that defies valid catagorization. Fortunately they are fully capable of succesfully mixing the various styles in a seamless fashion. They are not only extremely skilled musicians, but also rather accomplished composers. Of course an album like "Anomalies" require an open mind and I have to admit that it's taken me a couple of years to fully digest and appreciate the album. The first time I gave the album a shot, I simply didn't get it. I felt the music was all over the place and it simply didn't appeal to me. I knew from the first listen that there was something about the album though, so I've taken it out and given it spins once in a while to try and understand what the band's vision is and finally my patience was rewarded. After a couple of years it was like the album opened to me and the songs became memorable and distinguisable from each other. The mixing of different extreme metal styles is quite ingenious and deserves praise. This could have resulted in utter failure and unlistenable music, but Cephalic Carnage skillfully combine all styles into an adventurous sound that's unmistakably their own. A 4 star rating is deserved.

UMUR | 4/5 |