Djam Karet - Recollection Harvest CD (album) cover

RECOLLECTION HARVEST

Djam Karet

progrules
4 stars Just did the Diagonal review and remembered there was another eclectic band and album that was waiting for a review being this Recollection Harvest from Djam Karet. I know this band for quite some time now thanks to a former stream track from another album called Heads of Ni-oh. I always liked that one and caused the purchase of this release from 2005.

If I compare Djam Karet to Diagonal (after all they are from the same subgenre) the biggest difference is the obvious preference of fine and memorable melodies within DK's music which were almost completely absent with Diagonal's debut. So it will be no surprise that I as melody lover go for this band and album. Especially the first section of 5 songs that are in fact the main part of Recollection Harvest appeal to me big time. To me this is eclectic prog at its best with a well balanced proportion of complexity and melody combined with originallity and variation. Also an interesting mix of both accessiblity and inaccessibilty. I mean this is not for everyone but I feel most proggers should be able to comprehend this.

Whether they like it is a different thing of course. There's also a touch of jazz (The Packing House !) to be found on this and it's the cream on the cake for me. Recollection Harvest is an excellent album and it makes me long for more from Djam Karet. Four stars is not overdone for me though slightly rounded up (3,8).

progrules | 4/5 |