Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers CD (album) cover

Jefferson Airplane

Proto-Prog

Alitare
3 stars Volunteers ? 1969 (2.8/5) 10 ? Best Song: Volunteers

Thus the inevitable transformation from apocalyptic prophet to socio-political aggressor has come and taken root. Now the Airplane are giving us a 'message', and usually when a band focuses on their 'message', they tend to forget about the 'music'. In this case, the band gives us the most predictable message in all of rock music, that war is bad. Boo-hoo, war is so terrible. The American government is evil, and we need a revolution. Pick up your pride! Fight for the children so they won't have to suffer another after school special! To hell with Amerikka! Got a revolution. Whew! Get me a water canteen, Paul, all this protesting is making me tired.

But hey, it's oaky dokey, because for once in their blasted lives, the band has given an album that's fully and coherently consistent with the message. When they harmonize and rock on the title track, you can feel the revolution in your bones. That or it's just a nice, hard melody, nothing more. I will never ever adore Volunteers. It's just so damn generic. They might as well have changed their name to Jefferson Airplain, it'd have been more sincere. Everything on here, from the country shuffle of 'The Farm', to the politically aggressive overtones, to the acid rock, it's all been done before, and done better, by better bands and by the band, themselves. Plus, 'Hey Frederick' is sickening. I'd have openly recommended the album if it weren't for this turgid monster of a bowel movement, with those disgustingly aimless guitar jerks and Grace bellowing with her head in an exhaust pipe. But like I said, this album gets a negative stigma attached to it that isn't but half true. Finally, why did they have to go and screw up a perfectly good CSN song?

Alitare | 3/5 |