Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways  CD (album) cover

THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS

Porcupine Tree

Foxy
4 stars Strangely enough, I think that The Sky Moves Sideways is heavily influenced by KING CRIMSON rather than PINK FLOYD. I mean the approach to the music, feel and harmonies rather than sound. Even coda of Moonloop seems to me a homage to Fripp's coda on Sailor's Tale from immortal Islands. Basically if you take KING CRIMSON circa 1994-1995 and make its sound softer, you may have sort of The Sky Moves Sideways music.

Well, it might be just one of my crazy ideas, because taking into account that THRAK appeared the same year, it's hard to say how was influenced by whom and how.

Anyway, it is my favourite album by PORCUPINE TREE together with Lightbulb Sun. It isreally progressive and very innovative in terms of song structures, rhythm changesand marrying symphonic feel with very strong bass work. Unfortunately as years were passing, PT's music gets more commercial and less explorative.

Foxy | 4/5 |