Dice - The Four Riders Of The Apocalypse CD (album) cover

THE FOUR RIDERS OF THE APOCALYPSE

Dice

Progbear
2 stars After having heard lots of hype about this one, I was rather underwhelmed when I finally did get a chance to listen to it. Yes, on the surface there are strong similarities to Finch and Focus and the like. Yes, the musicianship is impressive and the songs are complex.

The problem is, the compositions are quite poor. The band members do come up with interesting motival ideas, but are absolutely clueless as to how to string them together into coherent musical pieces. As a result, there's not one memorable moment on the whole album. Well, apart from the bit in "Death" where they blatantly rip off King Crimson's "Lark's Tongues In Aspic, Part 2", cleaved in two by a cheesy rendition of "In The Mood".

I suppose I should cut them some slack as this was for all intents and purposes a demo, never intended for general release. Still, it's really not all that much in the end. All the elements are there, but something's missing. It's kind of like a jigsaw puzzle that hasn't been put together yet.

Progbear | 2/5 |