Gösta Berlings Saga - Tid är Ljud CD (album) cover

Gösta Berlings Saga

4 stars Tid ar Ljud (Time is Sound) was the debut album from Swedish instrumental prog rock band, Gosta Berlings Saga.

I discovered this band after the release of their second album, Detta Har Hant, and truthfully it was so good that I was afraid to listen to this album for fear that it wouldn't captivate me to the same degree. Luckily, it didn't take a lot of listens to realise that Gosta Berlings Saga had come out of the gates strongly, and that their debut album was just as strong as its follow-up.

The band play instrumental rock music, and although they have a standard rock lineup of drums, keyboards, bass and guitar, they sound far removed from standard rock band. The music is built from carefully constructed layers of music that create entrancing textures, and as the details of the music are uncovered it only grows in appeal. This is definitely an album where there are plenty of details to uncover through multiple listens.

Between this album and Detta Har Hant, the band had switched guitarists, and so there is a bit of a difference in the sound here. Matthias Danielson doesn't create textures with quite the precision that Einar Baldursson would on the next album, but he puts a bit more rock and heaviness into his playing, making this album a bit meatier than its follow-up. This works quite well, and the closing track, Svarta Hal Och Elljusspår (Black holes and Floodlit Track) is perhaps the best example of this. It is also possibly the best track I have heard from this very talented group thus far.

Definitely a recommended listen. Now to get my hands on their latest, "Glue Works"...

TheGazzardian | 4/5 |