Grobschnitt - Solar Music - Live CD (album) cover

SOLAR MUSIC - LIVE

Grobschnitt

Progbear
5 stars it's rare that I consider a live release a favourite, but this is a striking exception. We thought we'd heard the last of "Solar Music" when they come out, several years later, with this unforgettable live version. This is one of the few live albums that not only captures the essence of a piece, but makes the listener feel like he/she is actually THERE in the concert hall, experiencing it. How they managed it, I don't know, but it's an absolute wonder to behold.

Not merely cosmic music, the band imparts their trademark comedy to the piece (we poor non-Germanophones are missing out on some of this) as well as dense symphonic textures to some parts. As the piece is pretty much entirely instrumental, Wildschwein duels with Lupo on guitar, making for absolute musical fireworks throughout. But everyone in the band is given the chance to shine. It really is a remarkable piece of work.

Progbear | 5/5 |