Abraxas - 99 CD (album) cover

Abraxas

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars An uber-smart band outsmarts themselves.

Abraxas returned with their final album in 1999 and named it 99. And that is all I know about them. This and that they have split up and are legends in the Polish prog scene.

I do not know their other albums. But I know their sound. A crispy clean sound with some hints of the 1980s, a very good vocalist a lot of Dream Theater chugging guitars and a lot of synths. That's the Polish sound from that time. A recipe other bands followed too and Poland got their own neo-prog sound. A very smart sound. Abraxas has added some female vocals to their sound too.

The songs here are good. Good and that's it really it. The songs is cleverly put together and this album is really faultless. Faultless and pretty dull. This album is lacking teeth and some really great songs. Fifty-three minutes comes and goes. I let this album run the required spins and I am still not taken by it. But I find nothing that offends me either so the character is given.

3 stars