Dredg - Catch Without Arms CD (album) cover

CATCH WITHOUT ARMS

Dredg

ZowieZiggy
3 stars I would call this album closer to modern rock than prog. The trio drums, guitars and bass topped by a singer are definitely more inclined to play straight forward rock than anything else. The opening "Ode To The Sun" has a deep early "U2" felling as far as I am concerned. This being said, the track is quite good (I liked U2 in their early days, BTW).

This mood is prolonged trough the whole of this album. Same characteristics prevail: fine and melodic vocals, sustained beat (but not rocking wild, be assured) and enjoyable guitar parts. The title track is in this respect a fine achievement.

Each track has its own merit, although lots of similarities also show up amongst them. Anyway, this is a pretty good rock album by all means (even if "Zebraskin" is rather weak). And I would recommend it to the ones who like this type of music.

The upbeat (almost punkish) "Tanbark" is nothing too inventive I 'm afraid. I've heard such a track already tens of times. Having said this: such a song is quite pleasant though. Still, after a few songs, the mood is quite repetitive and uniform ("Planting Seeds").

If you are looking inventive prog, you should pass your way. I am quite astonished that one out of four reviewers does believe that this album is a masterpiece of progressive prog. As I have said, it sounds like a good rock album which rating could oscillate between three and four stars. "Hungover On A Tuesday" is quite remarkable and is my favourite song from this offering.

Final call is three.