The Syn - Syndestructible  CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Anthony H.
3 stars The Syn: Syndestructible [2005]

Rating: 6/10

Although Syndestructible is technically The Syn's debut album, this group actually dates back to the 60s. Described as "a precursor of Yes", The Syn was one of Chris Squire's first bands. They played R&B and eventually became more and more psychedelic before their breakup in 1967. This album is the result of their reunion in the early 2000s. While it's obvious that these musicians have come a long way in forty years, Syndestructible strongly retains a 60s feel. I've always had a soft spot for "hippie prog", and this album is no exception. Although not nearly as musically fascinating as I hoped, this album is a wonderfully pleasant collection of songs that gives me an enormously good feeling whenever I listen to it.

After the brief a-cappella intro "Breaking Down Walls", "Some Time, Some Way" opens the album. This is a wonderful track, with groovy bass/drums backing up the ethereal guitar and Stephen Nardelli's warm vocals. "Reach Outro" continues directly from its predecessor, with spacey vocals and excellent bass work. "Cathedral of Love" continues with the warm vocals. The middle section of this song is the high point of the album. The electric guitar solo is sublime, and the fast-paced vocals sound fantastic. "City of Dreams" opens with some funky bass. This song is less psychedelic than the rest of the album. Generally, it has more of a rock feel. There are excellent sections here, even though it's not one of the best songs on the album. "Golden Age" actually has a bit of a country vibe to it. The main riff is solid, but the chorus doesn't do a whole lot for me, and the song is a bit overlong. This is the weakest track here. While the thirteen-minute closer "The Promise" has a bit of an overextended first half, it redeems itself with the groovy and psychedelic second half.

Overall, Syndestructible is a very warm and pleasant album. It's difficult not to have a bit of smile on your face while listening to this. However, some tracks (or perhaps sections of tracks) sound a bit dull to me. There are fantastic moments here, particularly "Cathedral of Love" and "Some Time, Some Way", but the album as a whole doesn't quite live up to these songs. The atmosphere on this album is wonderful, but it's not sufficiently backed up on a musical level. Don't get me wrong, though - this a great album that I would highly recommend to Chirs Squire fans and 60s-rock aficionados.

Anthony H. | 3/5 |