Tyrannosaurus Rex (not T. Rex) - Prophets, Seers & Sages - The Angels of the Ages CD (album) cover

PROPHETS, SEERS & SAGES - THE ANGELS OF THE AGES

Tyrannosaurus Rex (not T. Rex)

Prog Folk

Alitare
3 stars Prophets, Seers, and Sages ? 1968

10 ? Best Song: It's return of the mystical gout.

I meant to say goat. Goatboy likes hur hur hur. I'd like to call this sophomore record a transitional one, but it doesn't transition from or to anything at all. Well, it's all the same, generally ? these space folk albums are. That's a rather abrasive and narrow generalization, and I accept that. I see it as an improvement, however, and am willing to concede that there are some very pretty moments in the mixture presented. 'Wind Quartet', for all its silliness lyrically, has a very engaging vocal hook added in there.

The songwriting leans toward more overt catchiness. That's the improvement I noticed. It's still mountain forest magic mumbo jumbo, but it's classy mountain forest magic mumbo jumbo. The vile stench of this material is the lack of a distinct personality between each tune. They all bleed into one and make for a violently difficult listen (and thrice as difficult assessment). 'Stacey Grove' has a nice building vocal segment. What the hell am I supposed to write about this? It's all a simple, aimless acoustic strum with Marc singing one of a small handful of simple melodies punctuated by meaningless lyrics and his vibrato bleat. I like it, but it certainly is frustrating.

Alitare | 3/5 |