The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath CD (album) cover

THE BEDLAM IN GOLIATH

The Mars Volta

Alitare
3 stars Bedlam in Goliath ? 2008 (2.6/5 almost 2 stars) 9 ? Best Song: I don't care

And this, my fellow travelers of light and sound, is where I make haste in beating my grand departure. I withstood the sheer battering ram of pomposity and verve, but only when they endeavored to possess themselves of wit and conviction. This beast is a debacle of misled ideals and inconsistencies which betray a boredom welling inherently in the group due to lack of innovation. They whacked and whomped and latin rhythmed until their heels were sore, and now they reap the fruits, poisoned and inscrutably bare. It doesn't help in any form that though bereft of vision, they decided to yet continue their trend of making the album ass long, and it brings me to a vehement resentment I have for the CD culture ? just because you can fit eighty minutes of music in one album, doesn't mean you're required to. In fact, it's more than overkill when you don't keep the fire burning. 'Aberinkula' doesn't begin being worth a damn until the solo halfway through, and even that's a silly retread. Cedric sounds even nerdier and less entertaining than he ever has, as if he doesn't any more care.

Another slight against The Bedlam in Goliath is the awfully unchanging tempo and form ? each song, no matter the duration, will be a uptempo rocker without deviation. Don't talk to me about 'Tourniquet Man', which is a short, sorry excuse to pad the record's midsection. Also don't talk to me about all the silly effects that introduce nearly each song. The guitars will be faceless, the drumming will be fast and incomprehensible without due reason, and the singing ? he just sounds as if he's reverted back to the age of twelve. Geez, boys, if I wanted a typical hard rock record for 2008, don't you think I'd have enough of it to go around?

Alitare | 3/5 |