Porcupine Tree - Signify CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

Alitare
3 stars Signify ? 1996

10 ? Best Song: The Sleep of No Dreaming

Hoo, Steve Wilson sure did worship those classic 1970's Komitzsche music aficionados, didn't he? He loved all things faded and at this point, he's still working on the 'if there's a concept?I'll find a fuckin' sound effect for it' aspect. It's something that has afflicted He and Roger Waters since their infancy. They wanted weirdness in a world of conformity and corrosive social order! Wimpy Wilson came to the rescue with an alternative rock album to end all alternative rock albums, and dammit he wasn't going to sell out by NOT including a bunch of time consuming and wholly superfluous sound collages. That'd just smell of conforming to the huddled, sheepish masses. But that simple 4/4 alt rocker, typically phrased title track? That's normally a sell-out, but when it's introduced via sound collage it immediately becomes an infallible statement of individualistic art. Never mind that this is the best, yet, mainly because Singify doesn't spend nerve-wracking amounts of album space on trippy, formless ambient goop. He regarded the cosmos through a circle of echo echo echo.

Their rapport is more with Pink Floyd (and for shame on me, but I needed it ? one more Moving Sky and I would've been a sidewalk pancake). There are many 'normal' songs that evoke emotions that are befitting of songs, but for every 'Every Home is Wired', melding soft guitar tones and building masses of sound, there's an 'Idiot Prayer' that threatens to lose everything in a celestial gaping hole. If this is the future, when can I apply for the museum?

Alitare | 3/5 |