Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

DEADWING

Porcupine Tree

voliveira
5 stars 10/10

[EDIT]Well, first I think I should apologize to Porcupine Tree.

I mean, I'm changing ALL my review on this album. Now I realize how stupid I was to hear this album once and give it a three star rating. Ok, I should not have done that!

The day before yesterday I was listening to this album again and I was amazed. How come I did not like him? Was listening to the same album? Well, whatever it was, I'm listening to it since then and I realize that this is a masterpiece. In fact I dare say now - and by God, I'm not being hasty in thinking this! - This is my favorite after In Absentia. Except for Only Car (which seems to me a track through generic and meaningless), all other songs are masterpieces, an abysmal quality.

Sure, there are your highlights: especially the album's centerpiece, the epic Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here). God, what a perfect song. I have a great appreciation for how much the Porcupine Tree enforces the use of soundscapes and sound effects in your music. Even that is not a work Deadwing psychedelic as The Sky Moves Sideway or alternative like Lightbulb Sun (and from what I saw, this generated some criticism, in my opinion unfounded), they never abdicate their style. Usually think that the band if sustains in these three genera: psychedelic rock, alternate and progressive metal. Of course this would limit the genius of these guys, because they are much more than that.

Besides this masterpiece, there are other highlights: I'm really captivated by Mellotron Scratch. Even without much mellotron as I expected this song is an absolute beauty. The corset-title opens the album with style, sometimes even sounding a bit repetitive. The three tracks more "commercial" are other wonderful, especially lazarus, what should be the best party they've done.

5 stars definitive. Hope does not change his mind again.

voliveira | 5/5 |