Frogg Cafe - Frogg Café CD (album) cover

FROGG CAFÉ

Frogg Cafe

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars The debut album from the guys who gave us one of the best albums of 2010.

Frogg Cafe has established themselves as a very interesting band during the last years. This is their debut album and it is a bit of a mixed bag. It is a true crossover album betweeen eclectic prog dominated songs and some melodic jazz. Hence, this album is a bit lounge like. The music is very laid back and listening friendly with some woodwinds speeding up and giving extra pulse to the music. Most of the jazz stuff reminds me about Mahavishnu Orchestra too. Same sound, same instrumentations. The vocals, although laidback, also reminds me about Gentle Giant.

A mix of Gentle Giant and Mahavishnu Orchestra is a good label on this album.

The quality is very good throughout. The lack of any really great songs is my major gripe with this album. I feel the band is testing the water with this album and does not really have the quality here. But this is a good debut album but nothing more than that. I am looking forward to hear the rest of their albums though.

3 stars