Rush - Signals CD (album) cover

4 stars Rush goes synth.

That is the reputation of this album. In my humble opinions, the picture is slightly more complicated than that. There is no doubts Signals is one of the more pastoral and low key albums Rush has ever released. It is well known that Alex did not like the lack of guitars (Read: employment for himself) on this album. There are still something for Alex to do here though and he does it well. But most of this album is synth and Geddy's vocals. There is no doubts Geddy's voice finds his range on these songs. In short; Signals is Geddy's Rush album.

The quality of the songs are overall very good. All of the songs, with the exception of the immediate hit Subdivisions, also slowly creeps upon the listener over a long period. I have had this album for two decades and it is my favorite Rush album from this period.

By far my favorite song from Signals is Losing It. A song where Rush really stretches themselves and comes up with an unique song. The closing song Countdown is also a true great song. Unfortunate, there are also a couple of reggae inspired songs on this album too. Rush was a bit too eager to run after the trends at this stage of their career. Reggae is a step to far in my opinion.

I rate Signals very high and to a weak four stars album. Maybe because I have been listening a lot to it during the last 20 years. But I think this is an undervalued Rush album.

4 stars